The farm was packed. I guess most of the schools were off since it was Yom Kippur so everyone decided it would be a great day to visit. (Remind me, I have a funny story regarding Emma and Yom Kippur. I'll get to it at the end of this.) Anyway the girls had a fun time finding their way in and out of the straw maze. I will say that none of the girls would do well living in the country or working a farm. They are all big complainers- "It's too hot, I'm tired of walking, When are we going to pick apples?"
"Now!"
One of the things that Eric and I struggle with is religion. Neither one of us are terribly religious but know that it's very important to instill a faith in the girls that will help guide them through life. We celebrate each others holidays and have since we've been together. What we need to do now that the girls are getting older is to really get into the meaning behind all the celebrations, not just the fun parts. While I know we don't have the ideal solutions all the time we try our best. Eric and I have talked about when the girls are old enough to give them the option of partaking in each holiday's ritual. Emma was insistent upon fasting with Eric this year. Eric said to go for it and Emma gave it her best shot. She ate dinner on Wednesday night and then off to bed. Thursday morning she came downstairs, looking rather sad, and asked me when she could eat again!!! I tried to explain to her that she couldn't eat until the sun went down. "But mom, that's a long time from now!" Needless to say, she wants to try again next year.



No comments:
Post a Comment